Saturday 3 November 2012

Chalkboard Wine Glasses

I have some of those cute little wine glass tags that party guests hook onto their glass to remember it's theirs. They're reindeer and they are adorable! But people often forget which reindeer is theirs! And reindeer should really only be used at Christmas time. So I decided to search for an alternative. Turns out many many people had already solved my problem! Paint the glass with chalkboard paint and let guests write their names on them! Too cute!

An alternative to glass charms - chalkboard paint!


I've had this pinned for ages but only just got around to buying some cheap wine glasses to give it a try this weekend. I was originally thinking they'd be cute to use at Christmas (watch out reindeer!) but it turns out my red chalkboard paint is actually pink! Ah well, I love them anyway!

What you need to make your chalkboard wine glasses

Pretty happy with the results. And they were really easy to make! My inspiration came from Just Short of Crazy . She had the bright idea to dip the entire bottom of the glass into the paint. But my paint pot was pretty small and I figured I end up wasting a lot of paint if I transferred it to a bigger container. So I just painted them with paintbrushes. I was afraid they would end up with brush stokes on them but they dried perfectly! :)



I did a bit of research for this one and the main problem people seemed to have was with the paint dripping as it dried. So I wrapped the glass in paper towels and secured them with some masking tape. It was pretty much all for nothing though - no drippage! Maybe it was my blackboard paint but a little bit of masking tape would have done the trick. Better safe than sorry though, right?


Oh and if you don't have any blackboard paint there's a great tutorial over at Salt Tree to make your own! I haven't tried it yet but it looks great. I might try making some green and red paint so I can make my Christmas glasses after all.


Or I could just write some Christmassy messages on these ones... :)

Make your Own Chalkboard Wine Glasses
I also painted an old picture frame with the paint too. All that's missing is a photograph... and some wine!

Things I've learnt:
- Don't use cheap pound shop paintbrushes or you'll end up with lose brush hairs ruining your pretty glasses!
- Make these a few days in advance of when you need them. I had to do two coats and it takes a long time to dry fully. But the actual process is very quick!
- They're probably not dishwasher safe but you can hand wash them no problem. Just don't try to wipe them clean with a damp tissue. Unless you like little bits of white tissue all over your pretty glass! Oops.

                                                                   

Linked up to - Thirty Handmade DaysLadybird LnIt's a Hodgepodge LifeMy Romantic HomePetals to PicotsBlissful and DomesticCraftionaryOne Artsy MamaPractically FunctionalWTFabIt's So Very CheriSewlicious DecorA Night Owl BlogSix Sisters' StuffCreating my Way to SuccessBe ColorfulMaking the World CuterThe Chicken ChickProject InspireSew Can DoSewing BarefootToday's CreativeSugar Bee CraftsFunky Polka Dot GiraffeHope StudiosNew NostalgiaHomeworkLadybug BlessingsSo I Married a Craft BloggerThe DIY DreamerSeven Thirty ThreeFireflies and Jellybeans

10 comments:

  1. Smart idea! We have tiny little wine glass charms but this is an awesome DIY idea. :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these before and want to try them myself too! Well done for getting a round tuit! they look great!

    I also just stopped by to let you know that I featured your hot water bottle heat pads on my round tuit post this week!
    Round Tuit 126
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous idea!! They turned out just great. I'd love it if you would share this project at the blog hop I'm co-hosting right now at http://www.thriftyrebel.com/2012/11/sundayfunday-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are precious!! I just found your blog and am your newest follower. Can't wait to read more. :)


    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness
    PS - Check out my Weekend Wishlist Giveaway to win a monogrammed Grateful Bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sooo super cute!!! Adorable! great idea for Christmas!... My only questions would be are they hard to write on?
    Samm @ Little House in the Big D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point - I actually found them harder to write on than I'd hoped but that was mainly because the base of my glass is quite small and I was using sidewalk chalk! So try and use wide based glasses so you have more room for writing and invest in some nice skinny, pointy tipped chalk! :)

      Delete
  6. I did not know that chalkboard paint came in colors. I think this is a great idea. I also liked your advise at the end. I found you from A Round Tuit. Mine is the Homemade Pizza at:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/11/homemade-pizza.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. great post! Would love it if you linked up on my blog hop www.w-t-fab.com/search/label/bloghop. Also let me know if you'd like to follow each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! Thank you for sharing at The Weekly Creative link party. I hope you have a great weekend :)

    Shannon @ Sewing Barefoot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you did this in red. Such a fun twist. Thanks for sharing on BEColorful.
    p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your lovely comments! They make my day. :)

Feel free to email me at blog.beinginspired@gmail.com either!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...