Sunday 18 November 2012

VW Campervan Coasters

Handmade VW Campervan Coasters

It was my sister's birthday last week and she's a bit obsessed with VW campervans so I made her these little coasters. They were pretty easy to make but confirmed what I already knew - I could never open an Etsy shop. I hate making multiples of things!! The first one is great fun, making a pattern, choosing the fabrics, working out how to put it all together, shouting at the sewing machine, all that good stuff! And when it's finished you're sitting there, smiling away, all proud of yourself ... until you realise you have to make 3 more! :(

Campervan Coasters

But it was all worth it in the end. She's a pretty good sister. :) And despite a few issues with the wing mirrors they turned out okay. I used an image I found on google images as my template and then just cut it up to make my pattern. (Here it is if you want to make some!). I was going to add a VW sign but I couldn't cut it small and neat enough and I was under time pressure so I didn't. Next time. :)

Volkswagon Campervan Coasters

And seeing as I spent so long making them I've decided you guys can look at a few more pictures of them. :)
Not my best photography but I was on route to deliver them before I realised I hadn't taken any pictures and din't have my good camera with me.

VW Campervan Coasters

Things I've Learnt:
 - Tiny little things like wing mirrors are impossible to turn the right way out!! If you're thinking of making some of these make sure to make your wing mirrors and wheels way bigger than you think necessary! I lost most of mine to the seam allowance and then had a nightmare turning them.



17 comments:

  1. These are so adorable! We used to have a bus, and we miss it!
    I have to show these to my husband. He will love them.
    Amy
    www.amystebbins.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you.... I have a hard time making multiples of things too...
    But these minivans... Oh my! How did you ever think of making coasters!!! This is so fun! I can't get over his... I am so pinning this... :)
    You are amazing!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOps mucking things up here. These are so cool and amazing. Thanks for sharing great ideas. I am visiting from Sewing Barefoot.

      Delete
  4. Cute coasters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely!!!My younger brother is obsessed with VW campervans too, he has a red one so that's a great inspiration to me!I need to make some to him, he deserves! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Happy week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com
    sessed with VW campervans

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww thanks for all your lovely comments! You are too kind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These could quite possibly the best things I've ever seen. I love the fabric you used. So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    xo-Kimberly {allons-y kimberly}

    P.S. I have a giveaway going on right now for some really great hair products (http://www.allonsykimberly.com/2012/11/giveaway-with-flat-iron-experts.html) . Hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! The coasters are amazing!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, not seen anything this cute for coasters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are the cutest things ever!! Stopping by from Earning My Cape. Thank you for sharing. PS: Im in Northern Ireland. So good to see bloggers from over this side of the world too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are SO adorable! Great work - such a fun idea!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really CUTE!!!!!! I pinned these:) Following your blog now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com I posted dolled up to just something i whipped up. http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/11/dolled-up-for-christmas.html Luv VW's too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are soooo adorable! Thanks for linking up to my Pin Me Party! I pinned them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello! Just wanted to let you know that I featured you at my Submarine Sunday link party! Come over and grab a feature button!

    T'onna
    Submarine Sunday Link Party @ http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/11/submarine-sunday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Etsy also has pattern makers, maybe you could market your patterns.
    I have some ideas to help you with those pesky "little pieces" if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your lovely comments! They make my day. :)

Feel free to email me at blog.beinginspired@gmail.com either!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...