Monday 3 December 2012

Hungry Caterpillar Resources


I know this is a very un-Christmassy post but I came across these props in my resource box today and wanted to share. I love Eric Carle's "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". It's probably my favourite kids book ever! It's great for teaching the life cycle of the butterfly, the days of the week, counting, healthy eating and so much more! I used it in India to teach food vocabulary too. And the kids just love the cute little caterpillar, especially when he eats too much and throws up! :) 


What makes a great book even better? Having some props for the kids to play with while they read it! :) I found these ones over @ Kizclub.com and they are a huge hit! I took the time to cut, laminate and then cut again and they've held up really well over the last few years and lots of hands on play!

                

The best part about them is that the caterpillar can go through the center of each piece of food as he eats it. Kids love using them to retell the story!

Here's two cute little poems that goes great with this book too. Unfortunately I don't know who wrote them so if anyone knows do tell me! Hate not being able to give credit where it's due.

The Fuzzy Caterpillar
(tune: The Incy Wincy Spider)

The fuzzy caterpillar
Curled upon a leaf.
Spun her little chrysalis
And then fell asleep.
While she was sleeping,
She dreamed that she could fly.
And later when she woke up,
She was a butterfly!
~ Author Unknown



Butterfly

Up and down the air you float,
Like a little fairy boat.
I should like to sail that sky,
Gliding like a butterfly.
~ Author Unknown

There are so many great activities you can do that link in to this book. Here's a few that I found on pinterest:

                            
Caterpillar lunch from Canadian Family              Caterpillar classroom door decoration from eHow 
Hand print Butterfly from Jellyfish Jelly

Check out my Picture Book Resources board on Pinterest for more ideas! :)

Things I've Learnt:
- Sometimes in the middle of winter you need some bright colourful butterflies to remind you that it'll be warm and sunny again soon! :)
- Laminators really are a teacher's best friend! Do take the time to laminate these. 



Linked up to: No Time for Flashcards

4 comments:

  1. I love this book, and so do my kids. I will definitely consider using some of these activities in a future activity. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for The Liebster Blog Award. Head over to my blog to find out more! http://skippersjungle.blogspot.com/2012/12/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Hadn't thought about using the hungry caterpillar to teach the days of the week, that's a great idea. Thanks, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there!
    You love Eric, like I love the Gingerbread Man series! What a great collection of materials to use for your story! Stop on by and see what's happening with the Gingerbread Man at the Critter Cafe!
    Happy to be your newest follower!
    Julie
    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your lovely comments! They make my day. :)

Feel free to email me at blog.beinginspired@gmail.com either!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...